Dr. Dermot Phelan
Intensive Care Medicine and Anaesthesia
01 803 2773 / 01 830 1122
01 803 4757
MB, BCh, BAO., FFARCSI, FFICMI, FCICM (anz)
- Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine (and anaesthesia)
- UCD lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital / University College, Dublin.
Sepsis, Acute kidney injury, Nutrition, Critical Care Organisation and Training.
- Anaes: Ireland, Royal Perth (Australia)
- Intensive care medicine: Flinders Medical centre, Royal Adelaide, Childrens’ Hospital, Melbourne.
Has served as President of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland(ICSI), on the European Board of Intensive Care Medicine and is a member of the new Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine of Ireland.
Work with the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM) including time as Chair of Professional Development, promoted the development of the European Diploma in Intensive Care(EDIC), Cobatrice (the competency based training programme for ICM) and PACT, the on-line educational curriculum / resource. Currently is Editor in Chief of PACT.
Publications relate to Critical Care Medicine and its development broadly and has included areas such as pain relief in ICU, quality indicators such as catheter related infection and care of the Dying.
Has been Director of Intensive Care at the Mater for approx 10 years and Chair of the Division of Anaesthesia.
Held various positions with the College of Anaesthetists of Ireland including vice-president. Is co-author of the Irish Code of Practice on Brain death and of the current ICSI Guideline to Brain Death and Organ Donation.
- Intensive Care Society of Ireland
- European Society of Intensive Care Medicine