Home > Services > Departments A - Z > C > Cardio-Thoracic Surgery > Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Protocols > Pre-operative work up protocol
Preoperative Work Up Protocol
- Full blood count, renal, liver, bone profile and coagulation screen.
- Hepatitis screen on all dialysis/renal failure patients.
- Group and crossmatch for 3 units of RCC/ for 6 units if Redo.
N.B: Check if patient requires CMV neg/irradiated blood.
- ECG & Chest x- ray as ordered by doctor PA and lateral.
- Sputum for C/S if a productive cough is present.
- PFTs especially on thoracic surgery patients.
- Throat and nasal swab for C&S on all Valve patients. Nasal and groin swab for MRSA on all other cardiac patients – cards to be labelled ‘preop cardiac surgery'. Also swab any excoriated/broken areas on skin. Full MRSA screen on patients transferred from other hospitals.
- All patients > 40 yrs for cardiac surgery to have carotid doppler pre-operatively.
- All patients undergoing VATS please commence Clexane daily pre-operatively.
- All patients undergoing thoracic surgery c/o Mr Alfred Wood please commence prophylactic subcutaneous anticoagulant pre-operatively.
- Pre-operative physiotherapy consultation.
- Record weight and height in kgs/cms
- As near as possible to the time of surgery patients should have chest and leg hair clipped (if necessary).
- Preoperative skin prep as per Infection Control Policy.
- All patients to have a five day course of nasal ointment TDS as per Infection Control Policy commencing the evening prior to surgery.
- Angio film (cine film) to be sent with the patient to theatre.
N.B: Please ensure that Plavix is stopped 7 days prior to surgery (unless emergency).
- Do not give Aspirin/Plavix on the day of surgery.
N.B: All medications to be prescribed prior to administration .