Home > Services > Departments A - Z > C > Cardio-Thoracic Surgery > Research & Education > Publications
Selected publications, 2002 and 2008
- The effect of pre-existing ischaemic heart disease on renal dysfunction in cardiac transplant patients.
Abraham KA, McGorrian C, O'Kelly P, Neligan M, Wood AE, Conlon PJ, Donohoe J.
Am J Transplant 2002 Apr, 2(4): 355-9.
- Calcification of homograft valves in the pulmonary circulation – is it device or donation related?
Javadpour H, Veerasingam D, Wood AE.
Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2002 Jul; 22(1): 78-81. (PMID: 12103377)
- A rare cause of wheeze in a young adult.
Moloney E, O'Keane C, Wood AE, Burke C.
Postgrad. Med. J. 2003 Sept: 79 (935): 543.
- Is extended arch aortoplasty the operation of choice for infant coarctation: Results of 15 Years experience in 181 patients.
Wood AE, Javadpour H, Duff D, Oslizlok P, Walsh K.
Annals of Thoracic Surgery, April 2004;77: 1353-1358.
- Neutrophil assessment: A possible predictor of acute rejection in human cardiac transplantation.
Healy DG, Watson RWG, O'Neill AJ, Egan JJ, McCarthy JF, Hurley JP, Fitzpatrick JM, Wood AE.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, 2004, Vol 173 (3 Suppl 1), P64.
- Acute acalculous cholecystitis following coronary artery bypass surgery.
Healy DG, Veerasingam D, O'Connell PR, Hurley J.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, 2004, Vol 173, P 160-161.
- Pharmacokinetics of sirolimus in heart transplant recipients with chronic renal impairment.
Moloney ED, O'Mahony U, Kirwan M, McCarthy J, Hurley J, Wood AE, Egan JJ.
Transplant Proceedings, June 2004: (5): 1547-50
- Spontaneous saphenous vein graft aneurysms post-cardiac surgery: The True, The False And The Ugly!
Nölke L, McGovern E, Wood AE.
Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, July 2004, 3: 631-633.
- A national review of surgically treated blunt traumatic thoracic aortic transections.
Naughton PA, Nolke L, Shaw C, Healy DG, O'Donnell A, Wood AE.
Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, 2005, Vol 124, P321-328. ISBN: 1-4020-3795.
- Electronic learning can facilitate student performance in undergraduate surgical education: A prospective observational study.
Healy DG, Fleming F, Gilhooley D, Felle P, Wood AE, Gorey TF, McDermott E, Fitzpatrick JM, O'Higgins N, Hill ADK.
BMC Medical Education, 2005, Vol 5, No.1, P23. (PMID 15987526)
- Continuous gastric decompression for postoperative nausea and vomiting after coronary revascularisation surgery.
Burlacu CL, Healy D, Buggy DJ, Towmey C, Veerasingam D, Tierney A, Moriarty DC.
Anesth Analg, 2005, Vol 100, P321-326.
- Delayed presentation of diaphragmatic rupture following blunt trauma: Report of three cases.
Healy DG, Veerasingam D, Luke D, Wood AE.
Case Report Surgery Today, 2005, Vol 35, P407-410. (PMID 15834424)
- Superior statin survival statistics: Mediated by more than cholesterol reduction in the transplant population?
Hennessey D, Healy DG, Watson RWG, Fitzpatrick JM, Wood AE.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, 2005, Vol 174 (Suppl 1), P18-19.
- Irish heart transplant candidates: Factors influencing waiting list mortality.
Healy DG, Lawler Z, McEvoy O, Parlon B, Baktiari N, Egan JJ, Hurley J, McCarthy JF, Mahon N, Wood AE. Original paper. Irish Medical Journal, 2005 in press, Nov-Dec; 98 (10): 235-237.
- Anterior mitral leaflet reconstruction with pericardium in a 1.9kg infant with endocarditis.
Healy DG, Wood AE.
Ann Thorac Surg (In-Press).
- Accidental nail gun injuries to the heart: Diagnostic, treatment and epidemiological considerations.
Nölke L, Naughton P, Shaw C, Healy DG, Hurley J, Wood AE.
The Journal Of Trauma, 2005 Jan; 58 (1): 172-4.
- Surgical treatment of pulmonary embolism.
Soo A, Healy DG, Maurer B, McCarthy JF.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, February 2005.
- Traumatic rupture of the aorta in an 11 year old patient. Surgical considerations and technique of repair.
DG Healy, Soo WS, Akbar T, Wood AE.
The Surgeon, Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland, April 2005, Vol 3, No.2, P95-7.
- Mitral valve reconstruction in a paediatric population: Late clinical results and predictors of long term outcome.
Wood AE, Healy DG, Nolke L, Duff D, Oslizlok P, Walsh K.
Journal of thoracic & cardiovascular surgery, 2005 Jul, Vol 130, P66-73.
- Transplantation for myocarditis: A controversy revisited.
Moloney ED, Egan JJ, Kelly P, Wood AE, Cooper LT.
Journal of heart and lung transplantation, 2005, Aug; 24 (8): 1103-1110.
- Late outcome with 161 patients undergoing mitral reconstruction for myxomatous disease over twenty year.
Healy DG, Soo A, Wood AE.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, Oct-Dec 2005, Vol 174, No.4, Suppl 1 P.29.
- Anterior leaflet prolapse treated by artificial chordae or chordal transfer: A comparative analysis of its use in 474 patients undergoing mitral reconstruction over 20 years.
Soo A, Healy DG, Wood AE.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, Oct-Dec 2005, Vol 174, No.4, Suppl 1 P.29.
- First 20 years of heart transplantation in Ireland.
Healy DG, Akbar MT, Bakhtiari N, Egan JJ, Mahon N, Veerasingam D, McCarthy J, Hurley J, Neligan M, Wood AE.
Irish Journal of Medical Science, 2006, Jan-Mar; 175 (1): 5-9.
- Neutrophil transendothelial migration potential predicts rejection severity in human cardiac transplantation.
Healy DG, Watson RWG, O’Keane C, Egan JJ, McCarthy JF, Hurley JP, Fitzpatrick JM, Wood AE .
European J. Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2006 May; 29 (5): 760-6. (PMID: 16616855)
- Anterior mitral leaflet reconstruction with pericardium in a 1.9 kg infant with endocarditis.
Healy DG, Wood AE .
Ann. Thoracic Surgery, 2006 Jun; 81 (6): 2310-2. (PMID: 16731184)
- Inferior vena cava and coronary sinus obstruction following percutaneous ASD device closure requiring surgical revision.
Soo A, Healy DG, Walsh K, Wood AE.
J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., 2006 Jun; 131: 1405-1406. (PMID: 16733183)
- Successful surgical resection of intrapericardial extralobar pulmonary sequestration with congenital pulmonary a denomatoid malformation Type II.
Al-Mudaffer M, Brenner C, McDermott M, White M, Wood AE, McMahon CH.
Ann. Thoracic Surgery, 2006 July; 82 (1): 327-9. (PMID: 16798246)
- Stimulated neutrophil response: a predictive marker of clinical outcome in open heart surgery.
Soo A, Maher B, Healy DG, wood AE, Watson RWG.
Irish Journal of Medical Science 2006 July-Sept; Vol 175(3) Supp 1:11
- Alpha glutathionine s-transferase (GST): A potential marker of ischaemia reperfusion injury of the intestine after cardiac surgery?
McMonagle MP, Halpenny M, McCarthy A, Morrell A, Manning F, Kilty C, Mannion D, Wood AE, Corbally MT.
Journal Paediatric Surg. 2006 Sept; 41 (9): 1526-31. (PIMID: 16952586)
- Differential white cell count relationships with human cardiac allograft rejection.
Healy DG, Watson RW, Fitzpatrick JM, Wood AE.
Transplant Proc. 2007; January – February; 39 (1): 218-222. (PIMID: 17275509)
- Euroscore: Useful in directing pre-operative intra-aortic balloon pump placement in cardiac surgery? Healy, DG, Veerasingham, D, Wood, AE.
The Heart Surgery Forum, Volume 9, No.6, December 2006, 893-896.
- Bovine jugular vein as a shaped alternative patch material for aortic augmentation in the Norwood procedure.
Healy DG, Nölke L, Wood AE.
J. Thorac. Cardiovas. Surg. 2007 Feb; 133 (2): 567-8. (PIMID: 17258604)
- Atrioventricular septal defect: The effect of bridging leaflet integrity on long-term durability and re-operation for mitral incompetence following two-patch repair of complete atrioventricular septal defects.
Wood AE , Nölke L, Sapru A, Aye M, Duff D, Oslizlok P, Walsh K, Coleman D, McMahon C.
- Evaluation of the role of aortopexy in focal tracheomalacia caused by innominate artery compression.
Shandilya M, Ryan RJ, Russell J, Wood AE.
- Can pre-operative modelling of individual neutrophil adhesion response predict renal morbidity?
Healy, DG, Wood, AE, O’Neill, A, McCarthy, JF, Fitzpatrick JM, Watson, RW.
Eur. J. Cardio-thoracic Surg. 2007 Mar 28.
- A step towards being EWTD compliant: A single institution study of the cardiothoracic surgery experience.
Soo A, Alam M, Mitchell T, Healy DG, Nolke L, Wood AE.
Irish Medical Journal Oct 2007; Vol 100 No 9 P596-98
- The application of artificial mechanical assist devices as a bridge to heart transplantation in the Irish heart transplant programme.
Soo A, Healy DG, Regan R, Nolke L, McCarthy JF, Wood AE.
Irish Medical Journal Jan 2008; Vol 101 No 1 P29