Interview Do's and Don'ts
Here are some other "Do's" and "Don'ts" regarding the interview process.
- Plan to arrive a few minutes early. Arriving late creates a bad first impression.
- Ask for directions when making arrangements for the interview.
- Greet the employer by his/her surname (if you are sure you can say it correctly) and shake hands firmly.
- Dress and act conservatively and businesslike.
- Wait until you are offered a chair before sitting.
- Act alert and interested, and ensure to get your good points across to the interviewer in a factual and sincere manner.
- Be determined to get the job you are discussing!
- Bring spare copies of your CV.
- Appear overly nervous. Project self-confidence. Try and relax.
- Stare at the interviewer
- Let your eyes wander all around
- Smoke or chew gum
- Give yes or no answers. Elaborate whenever possible and describe the things about yourself which relate to the position. However, don't waffle, lie or imply you are a miracle worker. Be truthful and as frank as possible in your answers.
- Be preoccupied with note taking during the interview
- Undersell yourself
- Answer what you weren't asked
- Leave anything important out