Access to Our Services
Patients may be referred to the palliative care services if they have:
- been diagnosed with a life-limiting condition such as cancer, heart failure or motor neurone disease
- complex symptoms resulting from the condition or
- complex psychological or social needs related to the condition which persist despite the care being provided by other professionals
Referrals may be made for the purposes of providing advice and support for:
- symptom control
- psychological or social distress
- future care planning
- the provision of end of life care
Referrals to the Palliative Care team are made by the hospital consultant who is responsible for your care.
The palliative care team can help the medical team to refer patients to a hospice or the community palliative care service that covers the patient’s home area.